View Single Post

Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

I think a lot of folks buying their first rimfire can get the notion in their head of a can that will work with their 5.56 and .22lr. Forget about it. Aside from cleaning issues already discussed, it just doesn't work out well because a centerfire can is too big and heavy. Most cans for a 5.56 are in the neighborhood of 1.5in diameter, 7 inches long and 20 ounces. Titanium units shed some weight but are still heavier. While the extra size and weight of a centerfire can might be bearable hanging off the muzzle of your splendidly lightweight 15-22, it just ain't gonna work for ya on your rimfire pistols.

There's a ton of great rimfire cans to choose from. One of the most popular has been the Silencerco Sparrow. I have one and am quite pleased with it. It's easy to take apart and clean, and the mono core baffle design stays relatively clean. Most of the cleaning is super easy removing buildup on the clamshells. The materials and design is made for a lifetime of rimfire fun.

Don't get hung up what can might be quieter than the other. With a 16in barrel you'll not hear a lick of difference. On shorter pistol barrels there will audible difference (mostly tone) and some will have more first round pop than others... but generally speaking they'll all be quiet enough for use without hearing protection or disturbing the neighbors.

Super good advice already posted about not buying cheap. A can is simply not the place to try to save a couple bucks if it means compromising on what you really want.

I've thoroughly enjoyed shooting my 15-22 suppressed over the past few years. Enjoy your new can.