View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Liked 968 Times in 367 Posts
Default M&P Bodyguard 38 problem.

I just purchased 38 Bodyguard a couple months ago. I'm a S&W revolver fan and currently own 2 other S&W revolvers, have owned several others in the past. I bought the M&P Bodyguard as a pocket gun because it's light weight and has a laser at a decent price, and also because it's a S&W. The gun feels good in my hand and it shoots well, I really do like the gun for the most part.
Now onto the problem. If I stage the trigger (about half pull) and then let off the trigger the cylinder will lock or catch in between chambers. I found this out on the range a few weeks ago by accident. I started pulling the trigger to fire and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw someone run out on the range (actually someone's paper target blew off the stand and was tumbling across the range). I had the trigger pulled about half way (cylinder rotation half way between chambers), when I saw movement on the range I released the trigger, when I saw it was just a target blowing around I went to continue firing and the trigger and cylinder were locked between chambers. I had to actually physically move the cylinder either forward on backward to resume firing.
I carry a revolver for self defense for one main reason, when I pull the trigger I'm pretty dang sure it's going to go bang, if it doesn't I can keep pulling the trigger until it does.
I don't consider this to be a HUGE issue with the BG but I do consider it to be a possible deal killer for me. There's no excuse in this day and age, to have any firearm that locks up after staging and releasing the trigger.
Have any of you other BG 38 owners experienced this, maybe it's just my gun?
I'm not sure I can put this gun into service knowing this happens but I don't really feel right about pawning it off on someone else either, so I'm stuck with a gun I don't trust? Do I sell it back to a dealer for a huge loss? What are my options with S&W? As far as I'm concerned this is an engineering defect but I don't think S&W will see it that way.
Looking for input before I contact S&W.
Thanks.

Last edited by hostler; 01-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.