View Single Post

Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmort666 View Post
Which gives you the opportunity to shoot him in the back.
Suppose you miss? Suppose your cartridge is not effective? Suppose he's wearing body armor? Suppose you experience a malfunction? Do you have cover or concealment? Do you have an escape route if you fail? Are you currently cut off from escape?

They're all odds that would have to be carefully weighed. Suffice to say, there are shots that I would take, and there are shots I would not. If I'm anywhere in his forward 180, I'd prefer to not engage. From the rear, easy access to an instant escape, decent cover, reasonably sure he doesn't have any of his a-hole buddies around to shoot me--yeah, I think I would.

Quote:
If I'm in or in close proximity to a vehicle... ANYBODY'S vehicle that can be driven, it becomes a "close vehicular ambush".
You gonna hotwire it?

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never been in the military. ONE person in a vehicle is boringly common.

No manned vehicle the U.S. Army has ever employed could travel 2,300 feet per second.
I'm referring to the "overwhelming firepower" part. Obviously.

But while we're on it, it seems their advice was more or less that you shouldn't hang around in ambush zone, right? Not that you should take a fight you didn't think you could win.

That's where I'm at. I don't think that handgun-vs-rifle is an especially advantageous position to be in. And I can't see the Army ever telling you to fight riflemen with a handgun. So instead of hanging around, I'm gonna boogie if I can.

Quote:
But if you're content to run away and let others be slaughtered, that's you're right. The police have no legal duty to protect individuals and neither do you.
I am, and I don't.

My biggest worry wouldn't even be getting shot and killed, since nobody's dependent on me. I'd be more worried about being crippled and becoming a burden on my family for the remainder of my life. Eventually, all the fanfare will fade, and then who's stuck flipping the quadriplegic over so he doesn't get bedsores?

I knew a guy who was a full 'quad. Got pretty decent at using a computer with some eye-tracking equipment and a little straw for clicking (blow on it for click, suck on it for right-click), enough to play some games. Sometimes, he was an alright guy to hang around and goof off with. But he'd also talk about how he wished he'd died, not because he was so miserable himself, but because of the burden he was on his wife and parents.

Not that he was suicidal, mind you. In his own words, laughing, "How the hell would I even do it?". Which would be funny if it wasn't such a dark thought.

So yeah. I'm quite happy to run away from a fight to avoid that living hell. I'll run away from a lot of fights. That's me--I deal in realities.