View Single Post

Old 01-20-2017, 03:53 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimler1989 View Post
we use the .44 Spec. as backup guns, so they might be used for finishing deer as well as wild boar.
If you made me pick one to do everything, I would select a lead semiwadcutter, 240 or 255 grain. I would rather overpenetrate the relatively non-threatening deer, then under-penetrate the boar. At warmish .44 Special loads, it should be adequate, unless your boar are monsters.

Recoil just be stout, but not overly punishing even at .44 Magnum levels unless you suffer from arthritis, carpal tunnel, or the like. Rubber grips, some light leather shooting gloves, or a change in technique may be in order.

Can't control the recoil of stout-ish revolver cartridges--you have to absorb it, like a big spring. Bent elbows, relaxed shoulders, a forward bend in the back, slightly bent knees, weight on the balls of your feet. You sacrifice some extra "wobble" in your sights, but gain some comfort. And a fast follow-up shot is still possible.

As an aside, I've often wondered if my slight build (160 pounds/70 kg) might be assisting me in tolerating heavy recoil, since I present less resistance to the gun, allowing my body to absorb more and reducing the stress on my hands, arms, and shoulders. Similar to how shooting a rifle from prone can be more uncomfortable than standing.
The Following User Likes This Post: