View Single Post

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

As a happy SW22 Victory owner who did experience a few of the growing pains of this gun, this is what I have done to mine.

#1. Purchase a good quality T-handle or hex driver socket and toss the S&W supplied hex key into the trash. IF you don't already own or have access to one, buy or borrow a inch pound torque wrench. Any DIY gun owner should have this on hand.

#2. I use the #61 O-ring method and just a small "dot" of blue thread lock on the takedown screw. The barrel screw gets the thread lock too. Tighten both screws to 40 inch pounds.

Doing these, I have zero problems with the takedown screw getting loose on its own. It also comes apart easily for cleaning and lubing between range sessions.

#3. This is for anyone thinking of buying a new SW22, but IMHO it applies to any brand new firearm regardless of brand. Don't shoot the gun brand new out of the box. Take it apart and clean/lube first. My Victory was filthy inside straight from S&W.

#4. This is only if anyone experiences the same as I did. I have read a few threads where other owners have had this issue as well. Mine was having ejector issues. The stamped and welded ejector tab on the receiver was set to far out from center at S&W. It caused a couple of irritating problems. It was dragging on the bolt and at times the gun didn't like to go into battery. Particularly on the first round of a loaded magazine. Then due to the misalignment it wasn't consistently ejecting the spent cartridge as the next unfired was trying to load. At times just jamming both cartridge and shell inside the receiver. Using needle nose pliers, I bent the tab just slightly towards center so that it was more in line with the cartridge. It only took maybe a 1mm or less adjustment to make it work flawlessly for me.

Like I say, its a great gun. But did come with some growing pains that hopefully S&W will correct in the future if they already haven't. Its a very simple gun to work on even for an inexperienced gun or handtool challenged owner. Only a couple of tools really needed to work on this gun. The inch pound torque wrench being the biggest expense. I use the Wheeler Fat Wrench. The amount of torque isn't just to know that the barrel and takedown screws are tight enough, but the amount of torque on both screws needs to be consistent for consistent accuracy. No one can set accurate torque by feel alone. And just a couple inch pound difference from takedown to takedown will effect accuracy.

And just because, here's a photo of my SW22. It's a hobby. I don't shoot competitively. Just for fun and I only compete against myself.

Last edited by wwit; 01-20-2017 at 10:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: