View Single Post

Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 PM

Liked 18,497 Times in 7,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinkaty View Post
I have 2 lbs on order from Eastwood Powder company. When it gets here I'm going to try Elvis Ammo's latest method. Heat the bullets up to 140°F for 4 minutes then dump them and the powder in a plastic container, with a lid, shake real good for about 1 minute, then dump them onto a 1/4" mesh screen (with sides). Separate the bullets as best you can then bake them for 20 minutes at 400°F. If some stick together just snap them apart. Watch his video on YouTube. His bullets look great. He said to size AFTER coating. Eastwoods powder sticks better than does the Harbor Freight powder (ground finer).

It's amazing how fast these can be pushed without leading the barrel while still making round holes. To date I have been buying coated bullets from MBC. If I get it to work then I'll do my own.

Mike
Yeah, most of what I've read about the HF powder indicates that it is pretty coarse and doesn't stick well or easily unless you use a spray gun. I bought some better quality. more finely ground powder from Smoke4320 - one of the vendors on the cast boolits website.

I'm using a margarine tub (#5 recycling symbol) and enough air soft BBs to form a double layer on the bottom of the tub. Put around 30 bullets in the tub, swirl it for a minute or so to guild up the static, then shake vigorously for another minute to get a good even powder coat. Pic the coated bullets out and arrange them on a tray covered with non-stick foil with a pair of hemostats. Bake them for 20 minutes at 375-400 degrees.

A little more tedious and take a bit more time, but it turns out pretty much perfectly covered bullets.

Last edited by BC38; 01-25-2017 at 11:33 PM.