View Single Post

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Red face Another "Conglomeration" Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis The B View Post
The pinned barrels (until ca. 1982), and recessed cylinders on magnum cartridge (ca. 1982), are considered a sign of the workmanship that went into S&W revolvers.

The pinned barrels were a non-starter after 1955, when S&W changed manufacturing methods.. The feature was kept until about 1982, when they were dropped. It was thought that the counter-bored cylinders provided extra support for the case head. With stronger brass formulas, this feature, too, was redundant.

S&W wasn't always as good with quality, especially in the Bangor Punta era, when it was the rage to diversify and conglomerate. They weren't the only ones. Litton Industries, and Gulf & Western were just two of many others who participated. It was thought that conglomeration provided protection from the swings in various companies business cycles.

There are lots of collectors our there (me included) who like the features. I have several S&W revolvers that don't have pinned barrels and no recessed cylinders, but I have more which include these features.

Colt, Ruger, and all the rifle manufacturers don't use pinned barrels. With the way the barrels are threaded and fitted, pins aren't necessary.

Nostalgia drives collecting, and those features which make ones collection unique, is the driver in many instances.
Another "conglomeration" example from the same time period would be the short time when the "AMF Corporation" owned the "Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company." My understanding was that you could easily follow those bikes by their tell-tale oil puddles. Then they sold the company to back to the employees who re-established the quality ethic.