View Single Post

Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM

Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
how much does it hurt the value of say a fully transferable Class III M1A1 Thompson, an M3 grease gun,a BAR etc., etc., etc.,..engraved with Joe Blow's Firearms trust? 90% or 95% of the value is lost? I would not purchase any historic Curio & Relic Class III weapon with that crud engraved on it... unless it was dern dirt cheap....in the low hundreds...I can't think of people who would do so either, unless it was given to them in a will.
If you are making an NFA item (SBR, SBS, MG, Suppressor, AOW)... The rules are it has to be engraved with the MAKERS INFO (Name, Address). Period. Doesn't matter if its an individual or a trust. So it'll say "Joe Bobs Trust", or "Joe Bob". This is ONLY TRUE for those MAKING an NFA ITEM.

As far as the comment about a grease gun and its value... Unless you MANUFACTURED the machine gun (prior to 1986, of course), the machine gun would only be engraved with the Manufacturer's mark (eg, Colt, Browning, Thompson), as you would have purchased it as a Form 4 (transfer), not a Form 1 (manufacturer). So, guess what - it won't hurt the value at all......

Only the original manufacturer has to meet the engraving requirements. Making an NFA Item is a Form 1. A grease gun was sold by Thompson as a machine gun.. Thus, they are the Maker of the NFA item, and THEY engrave it. When you TRANSFER the item to someone (or a trust, corporation, etc), there is NO engraving required. It can be transferred 100 times (each with it's own $200 stamp), and it would NEVER have to be marked again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
I thought trusts were kind of going away with the new rule about every trustee having to be fingerprinted every time now . . .
Not at all. While the requirements for a trust are now the same (or worse) than that of an individual (everyone needs fingerprinting, etc), the BENEFITS are still there. My wife and I both shoot, as do other family members. By having a trust, one can add/remove trustees at will, and allow other people to have access to these items. She can use any of the items while I'm out of town. Without Government Permission. Try doing that as an individual owner of an NFA item.

Last edited by sithlord; 01-30-2017 at 04:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: