View Single Post

Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Liked 26,174 Times in 8,810 Posts
Default REPLACEMENT TIP FOR BROWN & SHARPE 770 AUTOMATIC CENTER PUNCH

The Brown & Sharpe 770 Automatic Center Punch I own belonged to my Grandfather, then to my Father and I have owned it for almost 6 years now. I use it almost every week for one thing or another and the original tip is just about worn out. I hesitate to sharpen it because it will probably remove the temper rendering it worse than it is now.

I've been looking around for a replacement tip and see that McMaster-Carr sells new tips for the new model B&S Auto center punch but no one there knows if it will or will not fit my vintage 770 (probably 70+ years old). I also called B&S Co. in Rhode Island and they were no help either.

Would anyone here know if the new version's tip will fit the old version 770? Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some New Old Stock tips?? I know there are a few machinists on this Forum and wold hope they might be able to let me know where to turn. I've got other Center Punches to use, but this particular one means a lot to me. Mt Grandfather actually used it while working of the very first Lunar Excursion Module in the early 1960's and I'd like to continue using it rather than to just have it lay in the draw of my tool box.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Chief38

NOTE: The one in the ebay pic's is not mine, but is here just for the good photos.

Vintage BROWN & SHARPE MFG. CO. No.770 Style 2 Automatic Center Punch w/Box USA | eBay

Last edited by chief38; 02-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: