View Single Post

Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

Over the short term, prices should hold steady or even rise, especially for rare specimens. A lot of us are at retirement age and still have decent financial reserves, so we can indulge ourselves a little and not worry much.

This changes as we age (learned from observation of parents, in-laws) and before you know it doctor bills, hospital bills, prescriptions, all begin to take more and more cash out of our reserves. Ultimately folks go to partial- or full-care residential facilities. These places don't want some old guy who is starting to become irrational to move in with a bunch of handguns. Trust me on this one.

So in the next couple of decades I expect to see more and more really nice revolvers to come on the market. They will often be sold by heirs with little or no knowledge or interest in firearms. "You mean somebody will give us $1,000 for all Dad's old guns? Great!"

My best guess is that prices will drop drastically in the long term. Down the road, depending on who is running the country, you may not be able to sell them at all.

I'll probably be selling most of mine off in the next 5 to 10 years. Sure, each will sell for double or more what I paid in dollar amount. But if you adjust for inflation, then factor in auction commissions, FFL fees, etc., I'll be lucky to break even.