View Single Post

Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Liked 9,180 Times in 3,393 Posts

These H/S revolvers always remind me of one night when shooting in a Bullseye League in the late 70's, a brand new shooter came in to join up. No equipment other than a soft case with a handgun in it under his arm a couple boxes of 22's, some ear plugs and a friendly way about him.

An elderly gent who signed up and then waited around till he was placed on a team,,,our team of less than perfect souls,,to shoot.
In a sea of Model 41's, H/Standard semiautos and tricked out Rugers, he stepped to the line with a H/Standard revolver w/what looked like a 5 or 6" bbl.
Lots of smirks and not so silent laughs from the hi-score crowd which didn t include anyone on our team. He fit right in with us as I was shooting a revolver (K22), my brother a Colt MkIII in 22, a couple Ruger Standard autos w/fixed sites and one almost target 22 in the group, an older slant grip H/Standard auto. We were there for laughs and fun. Our real jobs were stress enough so we never got too serious about our shooting (but did OK occasionally!)

That quiet gent proceded to clean the slow fire with a perfect score and finished with a 298/300 ,,forgot how many X's total.,,and he shot DA in the timed and rapid phases.
He showed up a couple more times, we shot once a week indoors 50' range and he shot just as well with that same worn out looking H/S revolver.
Then we never saw him again. Maybe just visiting in the area,,but wow what a revolver shooter.

I saw one for sale in the box w/papers (a H/S branded one) at a large gunshow 2 weeks ago for $450. It looked flat new from what I could see but didn't ask to handle it. It was sold later on,,don't know what the final sold price was but I doubt it was very cheap.