View Single Post

Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
Are these revolvers really painful to shoot? I don't have very strong hands, but if can shoot a 9mm compact easily. I've been thinking about getting a revolver, but I'm afraid I won't want to practice with it. I can't afford to do anything other than keep it stock, so I wouldn't be able to change out the grips.
Recoil is pretty subjective, so it's nearly impossible for me to say if you'll find it painful. When I started shooting my 642 I used standard pressure ammo and then worked my way up to +P. It does have some kick, but I think most people could probably get used to shooting it with standard pressure ammo. Good grips are very helpful. The stock grips are ok, but I can't shoot as many rounds comfortably with them as I can with Spegel boot grips. I can usually shoot around 75 rounds per shooting session without a problem, mostly standard pressure ammo but with maybe 15-25 rounds of +P. More than that and I usually end up having to ice my hand.

If at all possible, you should try shooting one to see, either from a friend or a rental range. It does help to have a firm grip, but you certainly don't need super strong hands to shoot one.