View Single Post

Old 02-12-2017, 02:43 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,827 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster1313 View Post
I am posting this as a separate thread because I care about my friends.

I consider Mossberg a great company, and there is a lot of buzz about the Mossberg 590 Shockwave. Even though it fires 12 gauge shells and has a barrel of only 14 inches, because it has an overall length greater than 26" and it was never intended to be shot from the shoulder, there are some who say it is legal without a BATFE tax stamp.

I am no expert. But if it is not a shotgun, then, for precisely that reason, it could be a destructive device.

Therefore, IMHO, until I saw letters from both the BATFE and my state saying the Shockwave was good to go -- I would stay away.

Be careful out there
Actually, the "some who say it is legal without a BATFE tax stamp" are the US Congress, and the ATF, based upon the language of the applicable federal statutes, and the ATF Rules enacted under ATF's rule making authority.

As for your assumption that "if it is not a shotgun, then, for precisely that reason, it could be a destructive device," there is another choice under the law. The 590 Shockwave is recorded as "other firearm" on the 4473. Have a look at the definition under Question 16 on the Form 4473 as a starting point.

Mossberg did not just start selling these without doing their "due diligence," and getting ATF approval first.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 02-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: