View Single Post

Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,705 Times in 4,791 Posts

I don't do any kind of rotation. I do have different guns for different circumstances.
Let me also add that I live and probably spend the majority of my time in a very safe area. There's just not much in the way of violent crime around here. An attack is possible, but the odds are in my favor that it just won't happen. OTOH, I do carry pretty much every day, everywhere just in case my luck runs out. If I walk out the door, I'm armed.

While the one gun, one place, all the time idea is probably the best. I like a bit of variety in my life.
These days I generally use one of three guns. For the most part I carry a Colt Commander .45 acp. When a smaller gun is called for, I carry a Colt Mustang XSP. On the rare occasion when deep concealment is required, I have a PSP-25.
You might note that they're all single action with very similar controls, just different sizes.

Now we come to the variety I spoke of. Every now and then I just get in the wheelgun mood. For anywhere from a week to a couple of months my primary becomes a 3" Model 13 with a Model 36 as its understudy.

Sometimes there's a special reason to carry something different. For example, I recently ran into my custom holster guy at a gun show and bought a really nice holster to fit my Walther PPK. So, for a couple of weeks there I carried it just to get the new holster broken in good.
BTW: its my personal belief that if you own a gun suitable for concealed carry that you should also own a proper holster for it. Even if you don't carry that gun regularly, there just might be times that you do carry it for whatever reason.

Every now and then, I might just be in the mood to carry something completely different just for the pure D ol' Hell of it. It could be anything from a .32 auto to a .45 Colt.

And here's something else. I shoot IDPA with both pistols and revolvers. I'm accustomed to drawing and firing both on the clock as it were. And with the rare exception of pocket carry (which I almost never do), every gun I carry is in the exact same place on my belt. Just behind my right hip bone at roughly the 3:30 position.
So it doesn't matter to me if its a SA pistol, DA/SA pistol or a DA revolver. When my hand hits the gun, it automatically knows what to do with it.

But that's just me. For you, things could be totally different.