View Single Post

Old 02-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-mom View Post
Well, in my opinion the basic M&P 15 Sport 2 is as good as you can have to start this hobby on a budget. It is a great gun right out of the box. Functions like it is supposed to, easy to operate, and accurate. Learn
to shoot the standard iron sights first, THEN buy the optic of your choice. I feel way too many folks don't want to learn how to shoot with iron sights, but that is a fundamentally basic skill everyone should master.
Dave
SWCA#2778
I love that approach and often give that exact advice. Shoot a basic M4 style carbine with iron rights and then you can move to optics. Trigger time is with iron sights can help establish what you want from optics.

What if "budget" is not the issue. Say your friend has the means to buy what ever he wants. Do you see any advantages one of the other M&Ps as a starting point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff
There is no point in the "High" tier. The user who is willing to spend $3K or more is not looking at an M&P15. Further, I've been around this stuff enough to know that what you're getting at that price range falls into the "boutique" range. I'm not saying guns at that price point aren't worth it. What I am saying is they don't perform significantly better; especially for a new shooter. If you're going to spend that much, you're also looking at an optic like a Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x 24 for about $2K or the Trijicon V-COG which falls in the $4K range.
This is a valid point. I guess I just included that tier because something like the VTAC is available and might have an appeal for a die hard S&W fan. I am not sure that a complete package including and optic that costs $3,000 is necessarily boutique. $1,500 factory rifle rifle, $1,000 sight and mount, $200 trigger ... you are a grip stock and a sling away from $3,000. There are a lot of $1,500 factory rifles but I get what you mean.

Last edited by WVSig; 02-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: