View Single Post

Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts
Default a word about "self-smithing" and trained smiths

My company manufactures highly complex (technically) heavy duty high speed rotating equipment for the power generation industry. We produce detailed Maintenance Manuals, and are free with expert advice when customers call.

However, at the near end to 54 years in this racket, I still get calls from mechanics, millwrights, construction workers that either can't find or follow the detailed instructions and simply want some help getting over the next step.

Bottom line? I love to help the ones that call because they are the ones that realized for whatever reason they are momentarily stuck and could just use some advice.

The ones that really bug me are the ones who do the damage, call to get it fixed, complain to everyone that my travelling service engineer charges are highway robbery, then complain that the product was defective as far as they are concerned.

Kudoos to the OP....he said he went so far, found out he needed help and jumps on the forum to seek some advice.

What do I tell the ones bad mouthing my companies product, my field engineers, my prices and all?

I usually e-mail (after hanging up on them if they get extra loud) a photo with attached quote of one of my old time heroes
...... Red Adair.....Texas Oil Well firefighter.

"If you think it is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur".

I don't bash anyone, and a guy that can change stocks is not necessarily qualified to go much further, while others can probably strip guns totally down blindfolded.

So it may be with self smithing vs the trained smith. I know my goal is not the actual work, but to be able to recognize what I can do and what I cannot feel comfortable doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Adair.jpg (30.8 KB, 54 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 4 Users Like Post: