View Single Post

Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Banned

Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mccarver View Post
The other problem is that Super Vel played on the supposedly reliable findings of the NIJ and its Relative Incapacitation Index (RII), which emphasized the temporary wound cavity, which said that light, fast bullets out-performed all loads. This wasn't the experience of folks in the real world, but because it was based on computer models and high tech stuff, many people ran with it.
Lee Jurras founded Super Vel in 1963. Kinda don't think there was a whole lot of computer modeling going on back then. Not much high tech stuff, either, I don't think.

I'm not sure Super Vel and Jurras played on NIJ findings. I believe what it played on was shooters' desire and need for high performance handgun ammo...and that included law enforcement at the time. This is just my opinion, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mccarver View Post
I will take proven loads over a box label and nostalgia. Everyone else is free to have their own opinions.
What's wrong with nostalgia, especially (in this case) if the product is a proven performer?

Besides, nostalgia is one of the biggest factors that fuels the collector market, whether it's guns, ammo, leather goods, whatever. Again, my opinion.
The Following User Likes This Post: