View Single Post

Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
I usually figure these out, but I guess I haven't had enough coffee this morning. So I'll just ask, what is a CPZ?
"Carry Prohibited Zone".

There are different kinds of CPZs. In general:
  1. Posted CPZ - Where the property is posted "no guns" in some fashion. Depending upon where you live, these notifications may or may not have the force of law. In Ohio they do. One special class of posted CPZ (in Ohio) is posted parking lots. Violating the posting is civil trespass rather than a crime. If exposed and asked to leave, you must do so. Otherwise it becomes criminal trespass.
  2. Statutory CPZ - These are places which BY LAW prohibit the carrying of firearms, except by exempted parties (cops, etc.). In Ohio these don't have to be posted. You just have to know. Formerly, liquor serving establishments fell into this category. It currently includes schools, court houses, etc. I can't carry into MY polling place because it's in a school. When I lived in Berea, Ohio my polling place was in the lobby of my apartment. Had there been legal CCW at the time, I would have been able to carry.

All of this depends entirely upon your state and local (and where applicable, Federal) law.

States like Ohio with state preemption make this much easier. Places like New York can be hell to figure out. Pennsylvania is in between, with Philadelphia currently being the only city with its own specific laws (e.g. open carry requires a valid CCW credential).

Last edited by cmort666; 02-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.