View Single Post

Old 03-04-2017, 02:27 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts

I've been filling them out and mailing them in since 1975. I never put anything down but my name, address and the gun's information. I figure the rest of the information is really none of their business.

I have only been notified a couple of times about recalls. The first wasn't a recall, it was just an offer to recut the forcing cones in Model 29's to reduce the amount of **** jetting out of the barrel/cylinder gap. The very early Model 645 had a recall involving the magazine follower and magazine disconnect. There may have been one more, maybe the first S&W 1911, but some, like the Model 624, not a peep, even though I had 3 of them at the time.

I bought a new Model 642 in 1991, when they were first shipped. In 2011, the frame cracked. I called S&W. "My gun broke." Customer service rep asked for the serial number. I told him. Keyboard sound. He said, "Is this Mr. Buff? Still live at blah blah blah?" "Yes." "I'll send you a shipping label." "Thank you." Click. A week or 10 days later, he calls me back. "Your gun is broke. We can't fix it. We will send you a new one." "Can I get one without the lock?" "I'll check." Sound of keyboard at work. "Yes." "Thank you." Click. New 642 Pro arrived 3 days later.

I like warranty service like that.

My guess is that the company that collects the data from the cards sends the gun and buyer info to S&W as well as selling the demographic stuff to marketing companies.