Thread: Gun blank
View Single Post

Old 03-06-2017, 12:13 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,466 Times in 5,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Darn, Lobo, that's sure a complicated methodology you use :-). Hopefully all that intermediate boning yields a spectacular result; how about a pic?
Hi, Red. My methodology probably sounds a bit complicated to some. I know that your background includes years of experience in developing holster designs for some of the best known manufacturers, most of whom produce many thousands of products using "clicker" die presses to cut dozens of pieces at a time and multiple skilled workers in the assembly and finishing operations, each turning out dozens and dozens of pieces per shift. Forming is usually done on a press (hydraulic or pneumatic), and drying is done in large lots within spaces closely controlled for temperature and humidity.

Things are a bit different in the smaller shops. Each pattern is produced by hand. Each piece is cut by hand. Every assembly is done by hand. Every step in forming and finishing is done by hand. If each holster were to be completed, one at a time, from start to finish the time involved would be prohibitive in any business sense. In my shop we did everything in batches of a dozen or more pieces at a time; cutting, dyeing, assembly, stitching, forming, etc, by the batch. Only after several production runs would we proceed to wet-forming, doing several dozen at a time during one day of the week (usually completing 4-6 per hour of bench time). Then, following thorough drying, finishing operations could be done, again in rather large quantities.

It might help to think of my processes as "taking baby steps", completing the same or similar operations one small step at a time with multiple orders in production. Fortunately, market acceptance of my products always provided me with several dozen orders each week, allowing me to schedule and complete those in an orderly fashion. A dozen or so per day over the course of 3 or 4 days, followed by a couple of days for forming and finishing, then a day or two for everything to cure out completely prior to packaging and delivery, and each week means another 35 to 50 orders filled. Over the course of a week's time we averaged one completed product per 47 minutes of production time.

For the hobbyist working on a single project at a time one of the easiest ways to get into trouble is to try to rush any single aspect of the work. Drying times are drying times, finishing times are finishing times, and the time required for sealants and finishes to fully cure cannot be rushed.

The OP wants to make a single holster for a single handgun. I wish him well, and the best advice I can offer is to proceed with "baby steps" and not try to rush through any part of the process. There will be several days of work involved, whether doing one single product or dozens at a time, and trying to jump ahead or shortcut any of the processes will invite disappointment.

By the way, and in direct response to the OP, there is really no reason not to use your pistol for forming your holster project.