View Single Post

Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 AM

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,150 Posts
Default March 2017 IHMSA Field Pistol: Dream or Nightmare?

Dunno which, but I woke up Sunday after Saturday's match at about 0230hrs in a sweat with images of implacable steel critters standing downrange.

Considering the poor practice session of the day before, it was unrealistic to expect breaking any sort of personal record, much less achieving another 30 out of 40 in PAS, but it was particularly frustrating to watch the image in the scope dance about so vigorously! And then snatching at the trigger several times, trying to catch a good sight picture on the fly. Bad jaymoore! Bad!

27 was the best for the day with the new scope having "highrise" 629-6.

Next up was Spotting for Kdiver58. He ran his usual 586 8 3/8" AFS revolver, but with a new load which required "on the fly" adjustments at each distance, as sighters weren't conclusive.
Several animals were lost to over corrections, so his final score was a little off. Thing generally looking up for the .357, though.

The next session after lunch started well, with nine Chickens, but then even worse vibrations set in! Should have held off the cake and cookie....

However, the final run was with the ole' 625-7 .45 Colt. I don't know when it was last fielded, but with sighters zeroed at 75 yards it managed a 25/40 using Kentucky elevation for the other distances, even though the Ultradot Matchdot 6 has a finger adjustable elevation turret. Just don't trust it! Forgot how pleasant a shooter it is. Fantastic factory MIM action!

Only one Pig per bank escaped the cast 200gr. .45 bullets.

Also tried out an early artillery Luger (which needs minor work), having had it less than a day at the time, it still did well on Chicken sighters and a bank of Rams. Fed hollowpoints and functioned A-OK. It does have a 4000 pound trigger pull, though!
"Superman" shot four of five Chickens with it after I told him my hold at that distance. Even he found the trigger pull heavy.

Hopefully, 75Vette has sucked in another new shooter. If so, "Spotter Training" seems an ideal course for what should be considered a team sport.

And a Ruger .327 single action may give us S&W folk some competition. First showing: a 22/40 in Field Pistol. Very impressive.

Last edited by jaymoore; 03-06-2017 at 05:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: