Thread: 44 mag barrel
View Single Post

Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Default My vote for 6.5" S&W!

I had the Bisley twice and it's a solid gun but it's bulky and I had to hold my hand just right to keep them from knocking my knuckle. I have owned the 4" Model 29 and it seemed to buck straight back more even though the bullet is going a good 200 ft/sec slower. I have found the 6 or 6 1/2 inch Smith & Wesson's to be just perfect. With 240 grain jacketed bullets I'm travelling at 1300 to 1400 ft/sec instead of 1100 or so. That's a difference of about 150 mph. Climb in a car, floorboard it and when you get top speed hold your arm out the window and smack a half ounce of lead suspended in the air. I bet you won't say, " Well that's not significant!"
Of course the gun will recoil more but the longer barrel causes it to roll up a little instead of straight back into your hand. You'll get a followup shot just as fast.
The longer barrel won't slow your draw down any because routinely you clear the holster by several inches if you're the average guy. I can hardly tell my 6 1/2 " is on my hip in a Bianchi Cyclone or Lawman, a cross draw is great too and some of the chest or shoulder holsters are great too like the El Paso Saddlery folks offer.
Besides, aren't you really wanting to buy another gun?
The Following User Likes This Post: