View Single Post

Old 03-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer View Post
Well, because of a birth defect I can't shoot auto's well at all. I was issued a 1911 when in the USMC, but thank goodness I never had to use it other than to qualify and had issues even with that..grenades were also an issue, but that's a different story!
Anyway, I started carrying revolvers, and honestly, I'd never go back. I don't need 15 shots for self defense, I carry an additional 12 rounds in speed loaders on my belt, so that kind of takes care of the "round count" issue! I carried a Ruger Alaskan in 44mag, for 3 years every day, and when folks comment on the weight (never the looks! ) I just tell them with the right belt and holster, you hardly know it's there!
Now I still have my Ruger Alaskan, but around town I started carrying my S&W Alaskan Backpacker IV! So, now the weight is out the window as an issue as well!
Oh, and of course looking down this "maw" would be NO fun!
I'm curious and a bit confused. You have a birth defect that makes shooting autoloaders difficult, but it didn't disqualify you from military service and you shoot scandium snubnose .44 mag revolvers without any issues?

15 rounds won't likely be needed in a civilian self-defense situation, but you never know. I'm currently fine with a 5-shot revolver for carry most of the time looking at available stats, but will admit to having some concerns with it's low round round. Either way, they will almost certainly be resolved with what's in the gun. Thinking you can make up for low capacity by carrying reloads isn't realistic IMO, especially so with a revolver.
The Following User Likes This Post: