View Single Post

Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Liked 17,304 Times in 6,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies.

I must say I'm a bit surprised.
Don't you know anyone like these folks?
Do really all of your acquaintances go shooting regularly?

I imagined that from 10 people owning a gun, not more than 5 practice at least monthly with it!
Those people who don't plan to practice with their guns might just be better off getting a couple of baseball bats (wood) and a Taser type weapon. Far less to go wrong if they have to use them.

I have a friend who likes to think he's a gun person. He isn't, but he thinks he is. Everything he knows about guns he learned from TV or You Tube. Really.

Everytime I go to the range with him, I have to reteach him the basics all over again. He insists on keeping his revolver in a gun safe with the cylinder swung out. He says that in an emergency he'll be able to get the gun out, close the cylinder and shoot.

I tell him that in an emergency, he'll drop all five rounds out of his J frame onto the floor.

I've shown him a dozen time the proper way to empty brass out of the cylinder. I've told him a dozen times that there is no reason to to take off the side plate and remove the cylinder to clean the gun.

At that, he's a bit better off than your friends because he's not afraid of guns.

You have a very high hill to climb with them. There is no gun that is NOT going to scare them if they are unwilling to learn how to safely handle it and practice.