Thread: Tung Oil Finish
View Single Post

Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Liked 9,019 Times in 3,193 Posts

I'm presently in the process of refinishing a set of Ahrends tactical grips myself. I had just bought a set of Culina stocks so I was able to take a set of cocobolo Ahrends out of service. I don't particularly like the way that Kim had squared off the front side of the grips, especially on the part that curves from the trigger guard back to the handle, so I took my dremel with a drum sander and a fine sandpaper drum and carefully reshaped that area as well as rounding out the squared off part on the trigger side of the grips.

I'm using some Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I know it's not a pure tung oil but rather a finish that has a bit of tung oil in it. I've been taking it slow while out here at the rig for 2 weeks and letting the finish dry for a day or so between coats and have also buffed them down with 0000 steel wool a few times. They are now getting to be looking pretty good, but I haven't decided whether I like them shiny or matte. If I decide to go matte, I will have to let them dry well then buff them down with the steel wool again.

One thing I wished I had done when prepping now that I look back would have been to finish sanding with a finer grit of sandpaper. I finish sanded with 600 wet or dry (dry sanded) but wish I had bought some 1500 or maybe even 2000 grit to finish sanding with before applying the Formby's.

BTW, after I shaped my Ahrends with dremel, I stripped the remaining finish off with some acetone, rags and a toothbrush. That seemed to work pretty well on stripping off the old finish.
The Following User Likes This Post: