Liked 23,837 Times in 6,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDixieGirl View Post
Creamed Dried Beef aka SOS

3 jars dried beef
1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk

Tear (I cut with scissors) dried beef into small pieces and set aside. In saucepan, melt butter over low heat. After completely melted, add flour and mix in with spoon until no lumps show. Add milk and turn heat to high, stirring constantly until it boils. Turn heat back down to medium, stirring constantly, until desired thickness is achieved. Stir in dried beef. Serve over warm toast.
For large crowds, double recipe.
Dixie Girl, this particular recipe brought back some good memories. I first encountered SOS in a Marine Corps mess hall. I had never heard of it. I looked at it and thought "yuck" that stuff looks like somebody already ate it once. But a friend talked me into tasting it and I've been hooked on it ever since.

I fancy myself to be a reasonably good cook and I'm not afraid top experiment and try new ideas. I have made SOS using ground beef but I prefer making it with the Armor dried beef. An interesting variation is making it with sausage. I like the Jimmy Dean regular pan sausage cooked and crumbled into the mix.

I'd like to mention one point that I didn't see in your recipe. Armor Dried Beef is dried and preserved with SALT, and you should always ALWAYS rinse it in scalding water before using it. I have forgotten to do that a couple of times and even though I LOVE salt the first bite felt like my face was gonna turn wrong side out.

That is just too blessed much salt.....