View Single Post

Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

You may wish to consider the Cozy Partner Renegade. I've carried my 340PD in that rig for about seven years. I normally carry my Springfied Pro duty weapon while off-duty during the fall/winter or anytime that I can wear a sweater, coat, jacket, etc. to conceal it in an inside pants waistband holster, along with an extra magazine.

I prefer commonality with duty/off-duty weapon systems
whenever possible. If you're in an incident as a civilian or LEO that goes sideways, the last thing you need is to question (for even a split-second) whether you are deploying/manipulating/reloading a revolver or an auto-loader, a Smith & Wesson or a Glock or a Colt.

That being said, when I can't wear clothing to cover my service pistol without arousing suspicion/concern, I use the ankle rig with the 340PD. Perhaps I could consider a small 9 m/m pistol for the ankle rig to maintain weapon platform commonality, but I have found that I can't grip them as well as I do my 340PD. Life is a compromise. I address this by practicing with my chosen platform so that I don't need to consciously think while deploying/manipulating/reloading. TANSTAAFL.

Consider also where you are going to carry your extra magazine or speed-loader/speed-strip. Carry it in the same place every time. Don't put in in an area that will be difficult to access due to carrying a cellular telephone, multi-tool, etc. Don't put your reload in a pocket that contains chap-stick, cash/coins, kleenex tissues, etc. This works for me. YMMV.

My compliments to you for giving it the forethought this subject deserves. A very wise man once told me, "You can't make an appointment for a gunfight".

Practice with your weapon platform and when you become proficient, practice some more.

Good luck to you.

JPJ