View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I just had to respond when I saw this. Be VERY careful. There is a story behind the 38 Super. Once you have read it, make your own decision. I know a lot about this cartridge because I have shot it for over 11 years.

Trouble is, (1) it was not very accurate, as the cartridge headspaced on the rim and (2) a bunch of very cheap pistols were imported that were rather weak to handle the cartridge. Because of the first reason, not many people actually used it. Because of the second reason, ammunition manufacturers REALLY watered down the 38 Super cartridges they produced and sold. The round sort of languished.
This is incorrect. .38 Super headspaces on the rim. The problem is that the early barrels made for it headspaced off of the mouth of the case. The cartridge was fine, the guys at the Colt factory were...well, I don't know what they were thinking.

If you had an aftermarket barrel installed that properly headspaced the cartridge, .38 Super was a real tackdriver.

I think Taffin has an article on this in the current issue of Handgunner. But I know he's definitely written about it in the past.
The Following User Likes This Post: