Thread: 617 .22 lr
View Single Post

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Liked 1,371 Times in 655 Posts

I really like revolvers.

I really like 22s.

But I am done with 22 revolvers. I have said that before only to buy another but this time I really mean it.

The ammo tends to be dirty which can bind up tightly fitted actions. Case rims can vary in thickness which can cause binding. And the ammo is hard to set off so you have to choose between unreliable ignition or a very heavy DA trigger pull. It seems like small guns with a 9 or 10 shot capacity tend to have more problems with the action binding up but I don't know if that is due to the parts being small or the other problems associated with 22 revolvers.

I have owned a couple of 22 revolvers and shot several more. The first one I owned was a Taurus 94 I bought about 25 years ago and had to send back a few times for repair. The action started binding up in SA twice and once the barrel started twisting. The DA pull was very heavy as expected. I attributed those problems due to its being a Taurus and sold it but after shooting a couple of small S&W .22s I swore off 22 revolvers instead of buying a S&W 63.

Last year I saw the ads Ruger was running stating the new GP100 22 had the same light trigger pull as the centerfire version and I liked the idea of a nice 22 revolver so much I ordered one sight unseen. The DA pull was about 15 pounds and SA it was nearly 7. It was smooth in DA and crisp in SA but heavier than I expected. The Ruger was accurate and as reliable as 22 can be but I never really warmed up to it. Part of that was the trigger and part of that was the gun being really heavy for a .22. I knew how much it weighed when I bought it but hoped it would be one of those guns that feel lighter than they really are. It wasn't. I also had a Ruger Single Six for several years which always worked fine but was less accurate and more trouble than my S&W 41.

Like others have suggested I would send your gun back and let S&W fix it. But when it comes back consider selling it and buying a nice 22 semiauto. When fed good ammo they are trouble free compared to revolvers. I really like my S&W 41 but Ruger and other companies makes nice ones too. Just make sure that if you get the Ruger it is the new model that is easy to take apart.

I bought my S&W 41 in the early 90s and it broke before I got two full magazines through it. Something in the slide broke and the gun locked up solid. I sent it back to S&W, they fixed it and it is now one of my all time favorite guns. No problems that were not ammo related in over 20 years and many, many thousands of rounds through it. QA issues are nothing new. And S&W has always stood behind their products. While I prefer and recommend 22 pistols over 22 revolvers give S&W a chance to make it right before you look at other 22 revolvers.

Last edited by Dave Lively; 03-18-2017 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: