View Single Post

Old 03-19-2017, 01:04 PM

Liked 3,520 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveragEd View Post
I wouldn't patronize a range that prohibited my handloads either but from being in a business's management, I get where the range owner is coming from.

It is probably his liability insurance company that prohibits your handloads. To many of them, we are "basement bombers" (that's how one of my former employers referred to us) and our ammunition is of questionable quality. If the range owner shopped for other coverage, he obviously would find a company that didn't care about handloads as not every range prohibits them. But he may have chosen his present company due to their lower premium so changing to a more shooter-friendly carrier might increase what you have to pay to shoot there.

Face it, we're not politically correct and we have to put up with some inconveniences because of that.

Ed
I was told it was for "safety reasons". In a way I can sort of see that, however my argument was who is day in day out going to be safer, the shooter who spends $500-$100 dollars in equipment to not only save a few bucks, but at the same time create the best shooting ammo we can or the yahoo who buys his first gun and starts banging away! I've been loading off and on over 30 years and 99.9% of the loaders I've met are way more safety concerned than the average new gun buyer who I've found usually buys a bigger caliber than he can handle.