View Single Post

Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Liked 26,408 Times in 9,155 Posts

The "RS 58" is probably the inventory number. I have a Dayton, Ohio PD veteran 870, not nearly as nice as yours. I paid a lot less 15 years ago, but I didn't get the sling, sling swivels, ammo sleeve, or the 10 round magazine extension!

It should be in pretty good shape, but it needs detail disassembled and cleaned and lubed. Maybe buy the Wolff spring kit and put all new springs in it when reassembling. At that point, you should have a shotgun to last the rest of your lifetime and probably your grandkids' too!

My Father-in-law was the ordinance head sergeant for a large PD. He spent 27 years getting all the 870's he could (trying for one pre officer). Now the trend is, PD's are getting rid of shotguns in favor of AR-15/M-16/M-4 so for now there are many surplus 870's.

When fully loaded it will be nose heave and a little long for my home defense usage. You may want to go shorter and mount a small flash light on it. You should put some money and time into finding the ammo you prefer, #4 Buck and Slugs are my preferences, but your needs may vary!

If nothing else you can buy Wingmaster barrels for Skeet, Waterfowl, or upland game a enjoy hunting with a fine shotgun!

Ivan