View Single Post

Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,973 Times in 3,665 Posts
Cool SMART GUYS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill1911 View Post
I have logged 3 similar revolvers, all within the same serial number range, with the same markings. Of the 3, the only one I know of with a letter shows a shipment of 6 to Evaluators, LTD. in Quantico, VA. Many of you will recognize that outfit as the one run by BG Van Orden and his wife Flora. They had close ties to the USMC and sold lots of guns to them. I don't think this will letter as a factory marking. Perhaps Evaluators marked them. I suspect these guns were for the USMC shooting team and perhaps the Marine Corps armorer marked them. Whatever the case they are interesting guns and I hope Mr. Warren reports back what his letter shows when he gets it. Here is a picture of a similar gun (not mine).
This (above) is from one of the smart guys---no "dim recollections" for him. "Big bear" is another one of those smart guys----woke me up this morning with one of those clandestine messages----Evaluators Ltd.--Quantico, VA---husband and wife team-----he a retired Marine Corp. officer (General??)---she a friend/kin (??) to someone of weight at S&W. As the story goes, she had the inspiration for the Combat Masterpiece----and the Highway Patrolman.

So-----bottom line is your daddy's gun may very well be something with uncommon history------special---to us at least----never mind the outside world.

Ralph Tremaine

As an aside, S&W distributors are an important part of the company's history. I can't sit here and rattle off each and every one of the special ones, but Bekeart comes quickly to mind---as does Wolf & Klar---more recently Rex, and Herbie Harris. All of those can claim credit for the creation of what we regard as special guns----some a whole lot more special than others.

Last edited by rct269; 03-21-2017 at 10:56 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: