View Single Post

Old 03-24-2017, 04:19 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

I think at that price either a 442-1 or 642-1 (no internal lock) is a good deal. At that price, if I could afford it I'd buy 2. I think I paid around $400 OTD for mine.

I prefer the 642 for the stainless steel components. I like the lower maintenance requirements. I don't really care about the finish issues. My first 642-1's finish started coming off pretty badly within a few months. My current 642-1 has only started showing finish issues on the backstrap after a year or so. Finish problems seem to be hit or miss. The finish issue doesn't affect function, so it doesn't bother me.

From what I've heard, the 442-1's finish holds up better, but you have to stay on top of preventive maintenance to keep the carbon steel components from rusting. While some people say the 442 uses blackened stainless steel, I've never seen anybody get a definitive answer; it seems to change based on who you ask at S&W CS.

FWIW, I prefer the S&W J-frame to the LCR because the J-frame has a stronger trigger reset, which I like for fast DA shooting.

There are lots of threads for advice on the airweight Centennials. Do a search and you'll find plenty of posts on recommended ammo, holsters, sight painting, trigger improvements, and other gear.
The Following User Likes This Post: