View Single Post

Old 03-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Liked 1,509 Times in 650 Posts
Default Help choosing next one - Talo .357+ 3", or 686+ 4"?

So, my next acquisition is going to be a .357 7shot L frame. For the following purposes, roughly in order of frequency - 1) range use and fun 2.) OWB CC in a high-ride pancake of some type. 3.) home defense 4.) occasional trail/open carry.
I do not need or want it for primary trail carry/hunting use so much because I have a 629 6 1/2" that fills that. Once in a while I MIGHT choose it over the .629 if I'm going to go on looong walks for upland bird and want something a tad smaller than the N frame, but I don't see the .357 as being quite as useful as the .44 in the big woods, so probably not often.
The gun will see a lot of range time and fun shooting. I like to be able to 'reach out' a bit with range guns, so I'm hesitant to go shorter-barreled than 4", I will not go under 3". Just not interested in snubs. I am also not likely to take the Talo 5" as I think it would become too long for the CC I want to use it for. Wish the Talo came in a 4", problem solved, alas....
I love the unfluted look of the Talo and like what I here about them. However, grips would be immediately changed in either gun.
I'm concerned about losing much of the 'magnum potential' and distance & accuracy in this chambering by dropping below the 4" barrel to 3". I'm not sure how much is really 'lost' in that inch. Also, while I do want to start CCing more, and this gun would be a candidate for that, I don't how much concealabilty is GAINED by LOSING that extra inch in a 3 in instead of 4. It should be noted that I'm Tall and Rangey - 6'4" and lean, so I figure I should be able to conceal a revolver pretty well with loose clothing. I'm just new to CC, so am unsure how critical that extra inch might be. I also think the 4" is the more aesthetically pleasing of the lengths. But I don't find 3" to be unappealing.
Advice? Insight? Suggestions?