View Single Post

Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
I have not taken the handguard off so I can't say for sure what is loose. The barrel nut by the Front Sight Post is tight and there is no movement period. The only movement is when I place the rear butt stock firmly on my lap to imobilize it and then I use my hand, I can feel about 2mm to 3mm of play where the barrel is going side to side hitting the interior of the barrel nut. I can only assume the nut by the delta ring must be loose. I have shot this at the range before this and it shot fine I only noticed this after it fell over and the hand guard was the first thing to hit the wooden step.

I am contemplating on sending it to my Local Gun Store to have their gunsmith just charge me $40 to tighten barrel nut. If I send to Smith and Wesson, it will be 3 to 4 weeks before I do get it back. I am also not trusting of Smith's gunsmiths because this should have never left the factory in this condition.
You really need to learn how to identify the parts of your rifle properly.

"The barrel nut by the Front Sight Post".... what is this? There is no barrel nut anywhere near the front sight post.

Are you sure the barrel is moving and not the whole upper receiver? If you immobilize the buttstock and grab the rifle by the barrel near the muzzle and move it side to side, you will get a little wiggle.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: