View Single Post

Old 03-29-2017, 05:39 AM

Liked 25,777 Times in 8,710 Posts

Unless a screw is REALLY bunged-up bad, most can be repaired to look like new. A stone, some 400 grit paper, a Dremel with a rubber abrasive wheel, a felt polishing drum and a little Flitz. It will take less than 5 or 10 minutes and the screw will look better than new! Of course Blued screws will need re-bluing but not a big deal.

I got very good at this after unsuccessfully trying to find new screws for certain models. I have a Nickeled Baby Chief's (1951) with a Flat Latch SCREW - NOT a NUT like on most Chief's, and tried for years to find a replacement in Nickel. I was not successful and so I found a used blue one in my parts box that I repaired and put a high polish on that looks just like the Nickel screw it replaced. Even though the replacement screw is left in the raw, the high polish keeps it from rusting and looks Factory

PS: You handy guys should give REPAIRING screws a shot since some of them (for older models) are getting hard to get these days. Not too long ago not many GS's would even consider repairing screws because replacements were inexpensive and readily available - today not so.

Last edited by chief38; 03-29-2017 at 05:43 AM.