View Single Post

Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 PM

Liked 17,328 Times in 6,660 Posts

A number of years ago, I was driving in New Hampshire. I came down a long, straight hill, with a set of railroad tracks at the bottom. The speed limit was 35 and I was doing 50.

At the bottom of the hill was also a NH State Trooper running radar. I saw him just in time to be too late to do anything about it. His brake lights came on, followed by a quick flash of his back up lights. I was caught and knew it.

I stopped almost before he had his blue lights on. I had the car shut off, keys on the dash, window rolled down, hands on the wheel, and was looking forward.

He asked for my license and registration, told me to sit tight for a few minutes (like I had a choice), and went back to his car. About five minutes later he came back, handed me my license and registration, told me to drive safely, slow down a bit, and have a nice weekend.

No BS on my part, no attitude. Which seems to be the key to driving away without an added piece of paper. I seem to remember reading that 90% of the time the officer has decided whether or not he is going to write a ticket before he even has you pulled over.

One thing I've been told to never do is slam on the brakes when the cruiser pulls behind you. It's too late anyway, so just find a safe spot (for both of you) and pull over there.

Police officers I know told me that they not only know if they are going to write a ticket, but they also have a good idea if the driver has any warrants out on them before they make the stop. That's before the run the plate or license number.

BTW, I didn't watch the video. I think that most of these videos are made by people who want to escalate the stop so they can prove a point. I just think that the point they prove is not the one they think they prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
I admit to not watching the whole thing. I'm an old white guy, so maybe my encounters with local PD, SO, and State Patrol are not representative of other stops. Indulge me for a couple stories.

I ran a school flashing light at about 35 when the posted speed was 20. There was an LEO facing my direction and I saw him start a U-turn so I pulled over. The first thing he said to me was "Not many people stop before I hit the lights." I said "I did not register the flashing light. I was over the speed and figured you wanted to talk to me." He took my license (I have a clean record) and insurance. Came back to my car and said again "No one stops on their own." I apologized for speeding. He didn't even give me a warning.

On the way home recently, a road I traveled a couple times a day for the last 15 years, I was stopped for 61 in a 55 by the Highway Patrol. He was all business but not rude. Saw my Glock between the seat and console. Said "I see you have a firearm, please keep your hands away from it until we're done here." Wrote me a warning.

When I'm stopped, which is not often, I roll down the window and keep my hands on the steering wheel. I've never thought an officer was fishing or trying to coerce me into anything.

If an officer seems in a bad mood, I take into account that his last stop may have been pulling a dead kid out of a wreck caused by a speeder or some jerk got his grill about the stop.