View Single Post

Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Liked 490 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut.38 View Post
Here is my new to me model 629-1. My second ever N frame and my first 629. I have thought I needed one of these for a while. The timing was right, I saw this listed locally and I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket. It is in over all good condition and has just returned from a trip to the factory for a trigger stud replacement before I bought it. It was also checked out and test fired by a local gunsmith on return from the factory. Other then a new hole in the frame where the factory drilled out the broken stud ( maybe there is some value in the endurance package in later models ) , related scuffing , and the fact some bozo used pliers to tighten the ejector rod (I have a new one already on order) it looks really nice. It shoots great as well , at least with the first 20 rounds of handloads I put though it.

Here are my questions:
1. Have seen many different style of grips on 629-1. Are these correct for the vintage?
2. The serial number is N937XX ,Am I correct, this would date it to 1983 ish ?
3. The orange front sight insert is dull,not as bright as my 1983 Model 66. Can the color by restored ? Has anyone tried lightly sanding this to get below the dull surface .Does someone make a replacement insert ?
4. The lower pin hole in the grips are elongated. Allowing the grips to slip forward. Is this common for heavy recoiling .44 magnums . I have not seen this before. I am going to try glass bedding the holes and re-drilling them.
The grips on your gun are the same as on my 629-1, probably original.

Sorry about the ejector bubba, however, when something can be more than finger tight, the manufacturer should provide wrench flats on the fitting, or possibly a hex wrench receptacle.