View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I learned the hard way that even in a state with no duty to inform, it's wise to just inform politely. I was told off by an officer in Everett, WA not very long ago. He takes my license, registration, proof of insurance, and comes back saying he sees I have a CPL, and asks if I'm currently armed. I of course admit that I am, and he goes off a bit and tells me how legally I'm supposed to inform him. For those that don't know WA state law, the wording states that you must inform an officer upon demand, not that you must inform them whenever you make contact. However, I didn't care to argue this point as this would've only angered him more. He said I should know better. I told him I would go home and review the law, which I did: RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.
Quote:
(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.
I have the whole incident on a dashcam video. He pulled me over because according to his visual speed estimation, I was going too fast. I am not upset over the underlying reason for the stop, just didn't appreciate being preached to regarding what he mistakenly believed was the law. I ended up getting only a verbal warning despite it all. As he accused me of reckless driving and not following the law regarding duty to inform, I'm not sure if that's because he actually wanted to cut me a break or just didn't have anything to back up his claims. Either way I'm sure he could've turned my already-bad day into a worse one if he was willing to put in the effort.

Last edited by seattlescape; 04-04-2017 at 04:11 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: