View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

I wouldn't say I agree with "ugly" and "expendable," but I think it makes sense to have a carry/self-defense gun that one isn't emotionally attached to (i.e., family heirloom) or is fairly easy to replace (i.e., Glocks), as long as the gun is reliable with one's chosen self-defense ammo and one can shoot it reasonably well.

My EDC is a 642-1. No real attachment for me. If necessary, I could replace it for somewhere around $400. I also have a back-up 642ND for it.

At the same time, having a $4000 custom 1911 is worthless if one doesn't know how to use it under stress or if it's a picky eater and chokes on one's chosen self-defense ammo in less than ideal conditions.

If someone wants to have a carry/self-defense gun that is more expensive, or has significant sentimental value, I see no problem with that, as long as the gun is reliable with one's chosen self-defense ammo and one can shoot it reasonably well.

I have a Beretta 92FS. I do have some sentimentality towards it as it's my first gun purchased over 20 years ago. But most of my early training was done with it, it's been reliable over 4k+ rounds, and I can shoot it well. I would probably carry it if I had a good holster and mag pouches, but for now it serves as my HD gun.

Short version: If you can shoot it well and it's reliable, carry/use whatever you want.
The Following User Likes This Post: