View Single Post

Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Liked 597 Times in 332 Posts
Default Shield 45 positive experience! *Update* Apex sear now 4/29 update added

A little background, I am a revolver guy LOL. I relinquished a beautiful S&W E Series 1911 a few months ago to a good friend who is making it a safe queen so I know it got a good home

My favorite gun to shoot is my 625 5" 45acp revolver, I guess I like the 45acp round as I have had several 9mm full sized semi-autos and I don't keep them long. Reading all the positive reviews on the Shield 45 I just got mine and took it out first time to the indoor range. I am a reloader, I don't buy factory ammo though I did buy a box of Federal 230gr to shoot first in the Shield so that if there were any issues with feed and eject I could eliminate my reloads. The factory trigger on mine as measured with Lyman digital was close to 7lbs, not something I am at all used to but really didn't feel that bad. After checking the trigger again after shooting is settled in more in the 6lb 5oz range. Yes it has some grittiness but not a lot of take up and a pretty decent break and minimal overtravel to the stop.
Now, I primarily shoot plated SWC's bullets, I use several different powders too, I had 4 or 5 powders in reloads with the SWC's with me and I tried them all, and they ALL worked fine! Only slight issue was feeding in the first round but no issues on feed and eject so that made me quite happy!

My thoughts, I didn't expect as much as I got for what I paid for this gun, I have taking a liking to it and am giving it respect. Since I like to tinker and I will upgrade the feel of the trigger and reduce the break by adding an Apex sear, the rest I will polish up and study as it comes apart, YES I could shoot it just as it is, YES it shot surprisingly accurate for such a small sight radius. I know I will shoot it even better as I refine the trigger but that is what I like to do with all my guns and I understand why it can't be refined as a 'production' gun. I thinks S&W has a great gun here in this 45 Shield, I'm going to really enjoy it and after putting 100 rounds through it in about 45 mins I had no complaints on how it felt in my hands and they are about a good medium+ size and I am not a big guy at 160lbs. If you are on the fence post about this gun, I suggest you get one, not likely you will regret the small amount spent for the satisfaction and potential it offers!
Just my opinions......
Karl

**Update** 4/11
I installed the Apex sear only part #100-163. Wow! I am now at sub 5# pulls (4lb 7oz to 4lb 13oz) and with a crisper cleaner break. A very nice feel to the trigger overall. Off to the range tomorrow to try it out These upgrades are more for my pursuance of more like a target trigger, this is NOT a carry gun for me.
More to come.............
**See post #22 for update report**
**See post #25 for Striker block plunger update** 4/29/17

Last edited by ontargetagain; 04-29-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: update for Apex sear install, 4/29/17 Update add
The Following 8 Users Like Post: