View Single Post

Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Liked 96 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
I live next to a tribe here in NM that is very conservative. They do not allow non tribal members on their lands other than a few areas. And firearms laws on the Rez are strictly enforced. If you have it and they find it they will take it from you. And they won't give it back ... The Navajo are different again. Traveling on a State or US highway they honor those laws as they have agreements for lease of those rights-of-way, once on tribal specific lands their laws are in effect.
When I traveled from Kansas to Arizona a couple of years back I researched this as well. I read stories like Rubone has said where guys get their guns taken never to be seen again and since they have their own set of laws, there is not much you can do.

I had two lock boxes in my car and when I saw the signs on highway 40 saying "Entering Navajo Nation" I unloaded and locked the gun in one box and the ammo in another.

Traveling there and on the way back, I saw several "Navajo Nation Police" SUV's with people pulled over on highway 40. I am not 100% sure that unloading and locking the gun and ammo up separately would have spared me getting my gun taken, I figured it was the best I could do and if in that situation I could hope to explain that I did unload and lockup when entering Navajo land "Out of respect for your laws." and hope that would buy me some favor.

Although it sounds like I would have OK anyway based on what Rubone said about the Navajo honoring the laws on the highways.

The Following User Likes This Post: