View Single Post

Old 04-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitfred View Post
I use Bayou bullets too and push them to the max of cast bullet data and have no leading but do get that chemical smell. I roll crimp my 44 mag hard in the crimp groove and pulled a bullet or two and it doesn't cut into the coating.

My semi auto taper crimps are light and show no significant signs of breaking through the coating. I also went to separate seating and crimp dies to make it easier on me and easier on the coated bullets.

I know they're many plated bullet fans and they have the same issue as hi-tek coated. I get the impression some don't realize the coating is easy to cut into and can lead. I have no data to prove it but I believe hi-tek coating is slightly more forgiving than plated and less likely to cut the coating or leave any residue.
If you break the HT coating, you might get some leading, depends on vel/pressures. If you break the plating on a plated bullet, you will certainly get leading & poor accuracy as the plating strips off during the bullets exit @ high RPM. Easy to see, at close range, like 7yds, you'll find bits of copper stuck in the target paper.