View Single Post

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Liked 995 Times in 192 Posts
Default Not the start I was hoping for with my new 9mm Shield

I took my new M&P Shield to the gun range this evening. Ran 150 rounds of new store bought Perfecta and Federal 115 grain ammo through it.

No jams or failure to eject. Pretty accurate little gun that felt good in my hands.

The only thing that I noticed at the range was that on a few closer shots (5 yards) the targets had not only the bullet holes but also a light smattering of tearing near the hole, but not touching it, like a meteor's shower would leave. I wasn't sure if my paper targets had been roughed around while in the trunk, so I didn't think much about it.

When I got home to clean the gun I made sure it was safe and followed the instructions (not my first semi pistol) to take it down. The slide would move forward about 1/8", but wouldn't come off. I tried several times, making sure the magazine was out and sear activation lever and take down lever were down. Pulling the trigger while trying to take the slide off. Same result every time. I can still rack the slide back and forth on the frame, just can't get it to come off when following all directions.

Oh, and the meteor shower on the target? Looking at the front opening in the barrel there are a couple of places that look like they have been shaved off a bit. Wondering if that was shavings from the barrel or bullet making that pattern.

So, I don't get to be one of those who gets on here and talks about their new Shield experience going off without a hitch. I will be calling S&W tomorrow to see about sending this brand new pistol back to them for their review and action.

Thanks for reading!