View Single Post

Old 04-16-2017, 05:53 AM
US Veteran

Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistered View Post
I would simply like opinions on the matter of CC. I have been 'into' guns & shooting since the 70's and have NEVER CC'd. I have open carried a lot but typically that has been when hiking, hunting, fishing, camping etc. but have never (yet) had my CC permit.

I am not saying threats do not exist but I see (on some other forums - not this one) where CC is almost a fanatical obsession with some people. I read posts about people questioning how what they should use for CC on the beach, formal events, bicycling even in the shower etc. I once read a thread about a question on how to CC at a nudist camp! but quite frankly I do not see the need to CC everywhere - especially it is nothing more than an obsession.

Statistically we are probably most likely to become injured or dead due to a traffic accident followed by other natural (or non-natural) events.

I am NOT passing judgement on anyone or where and when they prefer to CC but I would simply like rational, intelligent input on the subject and not the typical 'because I can' or because 'I can't carry an LEO on my back' etc. Thanks.
You are correct sir! Many people seem to be obsessed with the CCW universe. And you have made some good observations. Some people on this board seem to need a handgun in the shower and wherever they go. It does get rather ridiculous at times.

Carrying a concealed handgun for protection is a great option for those times and places that make the most since i.e. traveling, shopping, playing tourist, running errands etc. but IMO, the practice of CCW should be weighed against practical considerations and realistic assessments of one's personal security exposure. For example, walking to your car late at night after the theater or concert or ballgame in a metropolitan setting, would be among the better reasons for CCW. However, CCW while taking a shower is probably the least practical reason - perhaps even laughable.

A couple of basic issues to consider: No matter where you are or what type of gun you carry and no matter how well trained you are, if someone gets the drop on you, they've got the drop on you! And if someone has the drop on you, you need to decide how you are going to maximize the odds that you (and possibly your family) will get through the encounter unharmed.

Best practice IMO, is to plan your activities, times and places that represent the least personal security risks. Example - I do very little banking at the branch these days and when I do need to go to the bank, I go in the AM and I use the drive-up window. I do most of my non-food shopping with Amazon.com and I avoid going to the grocery store late at night. In general, I am selective about where I go and why I need to go somewhere. But for those times when I travel outside my usual environs, it's good to be able to CCW -- but I put everything in perspective and I do not believe that I always need to be armed nor do I believe that going unarmed is inherently dangerous.
The Following User Likes This Post: