View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM

Liked 5,055 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Neither Heller nor McDonald speak to carrying a firearm outside the home for self defense. If they did, many states would have had to change their laws. Heller spoke to the right to possess a firearm inside the home and to have that firearm assembled and ready for use. McDonald spoke to the right to possess a firearm in public housing.

As LenS can attest, firearms law in MA is highly complex and rather confusing. Attaching a quote from a SCOTUS decision is unlikely to sway a CLEO into issuing a LTC when he otherwise would not be so inclined.

MA law allows a Chief almost unfettered discretion in apply restrictions to a License to Carry.

It may be well meaning, but people outside of MA giving advice to applicants inside MA is rarely helpful. For that matter, people INSIDE MA giving advice to applicants inside MA is rarely helpful.

There are a handful of lawyers in MA that specialize in firearms law. Not every applicant needs them, but still they do a good business.

Chances are that Iceman007 will get a LTC. Being Worcester, there is a good chance that it will come with restrictions.

Comm2A has been working diligently on the restrictions issues with some success. At least two cities have changed their "No unrestricted LTC" policies because of their efforts.
At the risk of being labeled an "ignorant furriner" again, Shepherd spoke precisely to that point. Based on the previous posts and news articles, I never thought that quoting SCOTUS would sway the chief, but if judicial review is a possibility (and the news article says the MA LAWYER is pursuing one), the court might. My suggestion was that instead of using language that could be considered inflammatory, the OP might use the court's own turn of a phrase. Being a direct beneficiary of Shepherd and a former holder of an unrestricted MA LTC, I thought I might help.