View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Liked 17,307 Times in 6,652 Posts

The court in MA will NOT recognize a SCOTUS decision. They haven't so far, at least not in 2A cases. That includes the recent order (not opinion) from SCOTUS on a stun gun case where the opinion of the MA Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) was overturned and remanded back. The SJC has ignored that ruling, although the conviction was vacated. There is currently litigation to force the state to make stun guns legal in compliance with the order.

That is what we face in this state.

As I recall and LenS can confirm or correct me, while a denial to issue a LTC is can be appealed to a MA district court, restrictions are not subject to appeal.

Please give me a cite for the Shepard case as I am unfamiliar with it. Heller and McDonald I have read several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford57 View Post
At the risk of being labeled an "ignorant furriner" again, Shepherd spoke precisely to that point. Based on the previous posts and news articles, I never thought that quoting SCOTUS would sway the chief, but if judicial review is a possibility (and the news article says the MA LAWYER is pursuing one), the court might. My suggestion was that instead of using language that could be considered inflammatory, the OP might use the court's own turn of a phrase. Being a direct beneficiary of Shepherd and a former holder of an unrestricted MA LTC, I thought I might help.