View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Liked 1,014 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasor1 View Post
Why complain if they had a 10 day warranty either take back or get repaired by S&W instead making a deal about it the guy that checked it in at the undesclosed store you talked about may not be no more of a gun smith than you. You didn't see it at store. And you said you throughly looked it over. If a store gives you a 10 day return policy then that's pretty good you know. I would like to know which store may buy my next gun there as all stores I been to in my area that I have experienced buying guns do not have return policies. Most will not even gunsmith on one either I guess due to liability. Anyway there maybe great buys on good used guns but I myself don't know enough gunsmithing knowledge to purchase one without knowing who had it before. I did however almost buy a used Kimber 1911 once but I decided to pay couple extra hundred dollars and buy new one with warranty sometimes it pays more to buy new that has warranty. Than buy a used worn out gun that doesn't. And be in your situation. If your so worried about repair costs I'd just return and get a new one somewhere else.
Nearly every gun store I deal with offers at least a 10 day guarentee, on both new and used guns, and will usually take the gun back or fix it if it is damaged or not functioning properly. I have taken advantage of this before, for example, I had a Beretta 21A that exhibited function issues (not an ammo problem) shortly after purchase, so the store took it back. Another time, a shop serviced, at their option, a Beretta 70S I had purchased because I found it missing a snap ring and spacer that prevent the slide release lever from being able to fall out. The gun operated fine without it, I even tried to source one on my own, failing that, I asked for the shop help in sourcing one, and they offered to take the gun in and have their smith take care of it for me, free of charge. The same shop that I dealt with the 70S with are a real stand up group, even offering to buy back an older firearm from me that was found to have a magazine modified to accept more than the 10 round limit we have locally, and that was long after my initial purchase. These are the types of shops I usually deal with, though there are several others that don't offer any kind of return policy, and with those places I am either more thorough on my initial inspections, or whatever I am buying is a good enough deal that it's worth the risk.

The store I am dealing with now, and if you must know it's Cabela's, also offers this guarantee, for function and damage, though I have never had to take advantage of this until now. I buy, sell, or trade used firearms at a rate of maybe around 15-20 per year, many through Cabela's and have never had an issue before. Typically their guns are in good shape, and I have had no reason not to trust their judgment when it comes to safety and function until now. Don't get me wrong, I harbor no ill will against them, though as I stated in my original post, I have seen them do some bone-head things before, usually calling things Colt Pythons, that aren't, mislabeling calibers, etc., but my understanding has always been that someone in the company is at least responsible for safety and function checking each firearm before it is put out for sale, and that obviously doesn't catch everything, as in my case. All I wanted in this case was to have the right of refusal based on their 10 day policy, and this is where I take issue with what transpired. The S&W sales rep, who is not a qualified gunsmith, essentially told me and them that I didn't know what I was talking about, and not to accept the gun back. As they won't take it back on the opinion of the rep, I don't have that as an option anymore, and despite my insistence there was something wrong, they were very reluctant to even send it to their gunsmith for evaluation. That is why I am a little upset. I have been in contact with S&W about the situation, and it sounds like they are at least willing help me out if my analysis of the damage holds true.

Regardless of what happens, am I going to stop buying guns from Cabela's? No. Will I be more thorough on my pre-purchase inspections when I buy from them? Absolutely. Do I harbor any ill will toward S&W, and will stop buying their products? Of course not, S&W makes a quality product, and will never stop buying them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk