View Single Post

Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

The first gun I ever bought was a DA/SA gun, a Beretta 92FS (which is currently serving HD duty). It's also what I have the most trigger time on, including revolvers. It's what I've used in most of the training classes I attended.

Second to that, in terms of shooting experience, would be SA, specifically 1911s. DA revolvers come third, with Glock in fourth. My best shooting has been with DA revolvers, closely followed by DA/SA semi-autos, with 1911s in 3rd. Glock would come in after that (I had a Glock 23). I'm pretty much convinced the "rolling" DA trigger is why I tend to shoot those guns best.

What's interesting about this thread is that I've recently been thinking about how I would rank the different semi-auto action types that I'd be interested in as carry guns. This is what I came up with, from highest preference to lowest preference:

1. Hammer-fired DAO (I'm including DAK in this category)
2. Hammer-fired DA/SA, decocker-only
3. Glock 19
4. Hammer-fired DA/SA, with safety (thinking mostly 92FS)
5. Hammer-fired SA (i.e., 1911)
6. All other striker-fired guns (they all seem to be mostly SA-ish with no safeties)

I'm not saying that I would purchase a DA/SA gun before I'd purchase a Glock, but DA/SA would be a higher preference. I'd probably have a better chance of getting a Glock 19 than a Sig P239 DAK.

I like Kahr, but I'm actually not sure where I would place it in the list. I believe it's striker-fired, but it has a really nice DAO trigger. I would probably put it somewhere in the top three.

I've never tried a HK LEM, so I didn't mention it. From what I've read about it's operation, it doesn't have much appeal to me. Maybe my opinion would change if I got to try one.

FWIW, the gun at the top of my most-wanted semi-auto carry guns list is the Sig P239 DAK in 9mm, especially the 1st Gen SAS. But like I said, I probably have a better chance at getting a Glock 19.