View Single Post

Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
1. Hammer fired TDA with decocker. I would choose to NOT use the safety if that is an option. Hammer down, decocked, gun ready to fire (like a revolver). So for my mileage may vary the existence of the safety is irrelevant. Unless you practice combat drills intensely and frequently putting a safety on a TDA pistol can get you killed. I have a Beretta 92 and it never would occur to me to put it on safe. It's not safe. Well, the gun is safe. Too safe. The shooter is the one not safe. Again, YMMV.
This is something I've struggled with, somewhat. As I've said, I have a Beretta 92FS for HD and it's the gun I've had the most training with. When I recently started using the 92FS in the HD role I originally planned to keep it off safe as I prefer that. The only problem is that it's still possible for the gun to go on safe unintentionally, such as when clearing a malfunction or possibly body movement when carried. In the past, I've always followed up a malfunction clearance drill or draw with a thumb swipe to ensure the safety was off. In the end I decided that if I was going to be swiping the safety off, even if it was already off, I may as well keep the safety on and practice accordingly. Also, this is not a carry gun, and I still rely on my 642 as my "quick-reaction" gun, if you will. The 92 is more of a "hunker-down"/"get to it if I can" gun.

I have the recently released 92G conversion kit, so I hope to get that installed before too long so my 92 will become decocker-only and render that concern moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
2. Hammer-fired DAO. I have never used one but to my mind that's a pistol that wants to pretend to be a revolver. I could live with it. (I would not want a DAK - that's just a lot of additional trigger training and I think you had better be a one gun shooter if you use this style of trigger).
Obviously, you can choose what you want. However, this doesn't make sense to me. The DAK is shot just like a revolver. There's no additional trigger training unless you've never fired a DAO gun before.